Sunday, July 1, 2012

N.Y.Seeeeee (Part 1 - As a virgen)


New York City!!  N. Y. C!

Even as you say the words, or initials, your mouth WILL form a smile! Try it!
N.Y. Ceeeeeeeee
New York Cityyyyyyyyyyyyyy
And so it should!! Take a bite out of the Big Apple and you won’t be disappointed J

 

1st time - 1st Day - 1st Impressions


The first time I flew to New York the expectation and excitement consumed me.  I wanted to see it all and I wanted to see it all NOW!  I’d read the guide books, seen the movies and followed the city-based series.  I wanted to experience all I’d seen in the images and see for myself if it really was as amazing as it appeared.

After watching the route map on the screen in front of me, for hours, my excitement was mounting.  The landing gear unfolded, the “km to destination” diminished and I eagerly looked out of the window searching for just one of those crucial sights.  On finally landing at JFK I felt disappointedly cheated at not having seen anything (maybe I was on the wrong side of the plane)!   But, after immigration, collecting luggage and on leaving terminal 7, THERE was my 1st sight:  Yellow cabs!!  Loads of busy buzzing yellow cabs and my appetite had been fed.


First views of the Big Apple continued to feed my desire as I journeyed away from the airport, via car service Dial 7, and Manhattan was getting closer!  Going over the bridge and being amidst the City traffic I was getting more excited.  But, it was only after checking in, at , changing and getting out there did I begin to FEEL the excitement I was seeking. 


Starting at 45th Street and only looking up, in awe of the size and height of the skyscrapers, I walked down 8th Avenue.  I was getting my "sight" fix passing 42nd Street, the New York Times building, Port Authority and Madison Square Garden.  I was drinking up the atmosphere, until ..... I arrived at 24th Street and realised I should be getting back.  After all, it was getting dark and I was a single girl in this big bad city (there are a lot of negative images of New York too). 

I stopped, and right at THAT moment realised I couldn’t spend the rest of my time here going back to the hotel at sundown.  As the day comes to a close in Manhattan the infinitely tall buildings light up and every now and again you catch a glimpse of the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building or just another skyscraper!  There are people everywhere and you can’t help but feel accepted and at home…….. So, I got over it, right there and then! 

I walked back up 8th Avenue, with my new found attitude, crossed over to Broadway at 50th Street and walked down to Times Square.  Oh, larger than life Times Square: the lights, the action and the movement consumed me.  I knew I loved it here.
Times Square
I wandered now, more intrigued than scared, to the Rockefeller Centre.  The elevator transported me up 65 floors in 43 seconds to the “Top Of The Rock” and WOW!  This was MY PLACE, now I knew why I was here. 
  
Empire State from the Top of the Rock

After contemplating this amazing city from high above, and feeling hungry after a long journey, I reluctantly left that top of the world feeling, and ate with the “Stars” at Planet Hollywood. 
I went to bed that night tired yet excited for the rest of my stay.  I wanted to live this city, not hide from it!  And over those next 6 days I actually felt safer in Manhattan than in any other city.

NYC-  Feel your way 
 
You’ll pick your tour, your sights and you will most definitely have some unforgettable experiences.
I have enjoyed so very many that I could go on for hours and hours but these are 3 moments that impacted me the most on that 1st, and not final trip to NY Seeeeeeeeeee J :

Coming out of Wall Street 
A feeling of freedom after leaving the maze of the skyscraper covered Financial District.

Ground Zero (2007)
A feeling of disbelief at the sheer enormity of the destruction! 
The feeling of pain at so many lives taken on 9/11.

Entering Ellis Island
The feeling of hope in the entrance hall where expectant immigrants awaited their sentence:
In or Out.




 What awaits you?  Everything you’re looking for!


2 comments:

  1. Great Read Jo,

    Love NYC, been there 3 times and got engaged in central park. Also went at New Year and stayed in the Waldorf Astoria hotel which was fantastic! Spent New Years eve at a party overlooking Times Square.....best New years ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Chris, I love it there too, such a fantastic atmosphere !!! I BET you smile everytime you think of New York and I can see why ..... how romantic of you proposing in Central Park

    ReplyDelete